Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Bad beat

No, not AKs against AQ, but the fact that I spent two hours this afternoon typing up a full report of my JP Irish Masters only for the computer to crash at the precise instant I was clicking Publish Post.

Anyway, as anyone who follows Irish poker closely will possibly know, I ended up 6th, going out with aforementioned AKs. Still, that's tournament poker baby, and the most important thing is I was happy I played more or less to the best of my ability over the 3 days. Obviously there's always the thought of what might have been: if the AK had held up I think I'd have been in a great position to take down the tournament but it was not to be. But a second final table in only my fourth multiday tournament outing in Ireland is not to be sniffed at.

The brother played brilliant too and given even average luck would have been on the final table with me. Unfortunately, he ran shocking bad the second day, not managing even one of about 8 races he went into ahead. He had a percentage in me so I think that cushioned the blow, at least fiscally. It's a bit mad someone as underrolled as he is is happy to lump as much of me as I'll let him have on these long shot mtts but he clings to the absurd notion that I'm ridiculously +EV in these things, particularly the more deep stacky ones.

At the other end of the spectrum, was second in my local pub last Wednesday. Lost nearly all my chips early on when outdrawn, then got back into it with one great play. Had a 3 to 1 chip lead at the start of the headsup but the opponent found the correct strategy of going All in 2 out of every 3 hands as I looked down at a succession of 83's and 72's. By the time I finally found a hand I thought I was ahead with, A9, he'd edged ahead. I was also wrong about being ahead, he had AK, and I didn't suck out.

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More