Thursday, May 7, 2009

Running good again

Had a nice last day in Bergamo, Mireille and I, just the two of us, something we rarely seem to do any more. I'd already told the Irish ultrarunning body of my decision to retire from international competition, and I felt no regret so I believe it to be the right decision. I intend to continue training and perhaps still compete as an individual in whatever races take my fancy. Mireille said one to me during the day that suggested the way forward: that she missed the trips away we took together for races when it was just the two of us.

Straight back into the poker when we got home. Perhaps not the wisest move ever: I played Daithio in the Boards HU league minutes after arrival after a largely sleepless night. He'd been touted as a lead contender by both Rob Taylor and Marty Smyth and so it proved. I pretty much had my ass handed to me. I have four tough games left this week and will be looking to take at least two points to stay in the hunt.

Otherwise I'm running very well online at the moment. The day before we left for Bergamo I had one of my best ever days online (up $1500), and since returning have followed it up with two more four figure winning days.

Played tonight's cash game final in Malahide and scraped into the money. Greatly enjoyed playing live again. Rooting for Sligo John to take it down after my exit as he played extremely well in my opinion, the best I've ever seen him play.

Hopefully it augurs well for this weekend's JP Irish Masters. This was a big landmark tournament for me last year as it was my second major final table and as such the result where I started to shake off the Jamie Gold of Irish poker tag as a one lucky score merchant. JP's tournaments are always great.

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More